Tuesday, December 18, 2018

New Saddle #1

Ever since I tried out an Ez Fit treeless saddle years ago and sent it back, I've kinda wished I'd kept it. I've kept an eye out for a cheap used one, but never found one cheap enough or at the right time.

Anyway, long story short, I had some saddle money burning a hole in my pocket and I bought a brand new saddle! 
Theses saddles are secure enough to mount from the ground, the pommel high enough for a high wither but flexible enough for wide or narrow. Seat size, stirrup position, and cinch position are moveable. Moveable panels under the saddle for wider or narrower spinal relief, and apparently the panels adjust for a wider or narrower horse, although I don't quite understand that. I left everything as it was, but lengthened the stirrups. You can also get a higher cantle piece that switches out easily.

Since it's not trying to look like an English or western saddle, I don't think it's that weird looking. But then I've been looking at them for years, so maybe I'm used to them.


I rode yesterday for an hour or more. They say they take about 8 hours to break in. The structure is foam and pig hair stuffed panels, I believe. Anyway, it was comfortable, but toward the end my low back was aching. I'm going to shorten my stirrups a notch next time. They felt a tad long. I felt a little unsteady when she'd jump a bit (my tissue fell out of my pocket & scared her-I'm producing snot like you wouldn't believe) but no problem going up and down hills. Kinda weird dismounting without a horn. 

I love how lightweight it is. Wish I could ride again but it's pouring down rain today. Gross.

So... The same day I bought this saddle, another saddle that I've wanted for years came up on eBay for a screaming deal. I shouldn't have... But I did. I'll just sell the Circle Y I've been having trouble hoisting onto her back. :) Yeah, I have a saddle problem. I'll write about that one once I get a chance to ride in it more. John stole it, he likes it.

No comments: