Monday, January 07, 2019

All Work and No Play

Haha, no way will that ever be the title of my life. I did do a little work the other day though, breaking up ice on the driveway so we could have people over. It didn't help my shoulder or my migraine but it was a distraction and it gave me a sense of accomplishment.

The title of this photo is
"Hot Work"
I was disappointed that my shovel blended in so well with my coat and the ground.

I don't think I wrote about my hay delivery last weekend. Ugh. A guy offered to bring me alfalfa for Sawyer since I couldn't get my truck out of my driveway (4 wheel dive is out). I didn't need hay immediately.  I warned him profusely about my hill, and he was going to check it out ahead of time. (He can probably see it from his house, he's right across the highway.)

Long story short, he got stuck. Several times. For 2+ hours. 

Luckily my niece and her husband were here with their sturdy pickup and we have the tractor now too, so we got him out of the worst situations. His 4 wheel drive was out, and he didn't know it until we'd unloaded the hay and he tried to move. Then, when he gave up and someone was going to give him a ride home, he restarted his pickup and Ta-da! Four wheel drive worked again. What the heck.

Halla and I had a lovely dusk ride at home, just plunking around. Boy, I sure do like her. I can't wait to start going places again. Winter is the pits. But it is a relaxing time to bond and work on things we wouldn't necessarily work on out on the trail.


Oh yeah! I dewormed them with the uber-nasty stuff the other day (Quest plus) and poor Halla kept wiggling her lip for the longest time. I bet if horses could vomit, she would have.


Bella doesn't get Quest products anymore so she got Equimax, I think, and it smelled good, like bananas. I haven't dewormed for tapeworms in a couple years, so I figured I might as well, just in case.

3 comments:

Linda said...

That’s horrible about him getting stuck, but it sounds like he knew the risks. Glad you got hay!

Tweed has been wormed a lot. In fact, every month the vet comes out, which would be three in a row. I’m not sure how long we’re supposed to maintain this schedule.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

It's a pretty intense rotation for foals, but I don't remember the schedule. I do know that if you don't do it right, they can end up with some issues later. My sister's good horse always had troubles because he was neglected as a foal and his intestinal tissue was compromised.

gtyyup said...

Thanks for the reminder...I need to worm too! Ugg...somehow getting stuck is a guy thing. John will finally put in the 4x4 when it's too late...rolling my eyes ;)