Thursday, July 04, 2019

Some Results & A Good Dog

My farrier didn't think Sawyer's recent episode had anything to do with his hooves. Could be joint pain I suppose, but we both kinda thought it unlikely. He isn't lame.

We went to the vet yesterday also, and his initial chemistry and CBC look normal. Because of that, she thinks his cortisol is unlikely to be abnormal, but it's possible. We can check it later. He was agitated, which can skew the results. I'd rather draw blood for that at home. We sent off a test for selenium and trace minerals. He is supplemented for both, but low selenium would explain his problems. It is possible he's not absorbing the selenium in his diet, especially with his age. Or I could be overdosing him on it for the last couple months, but the symptoms don't seem right for selenium toxicity.

I babble. Sorry, just processing it in my own mind.

Oh, and his cecum was pingy/gassy. Gas can be pretty painful. I keep meaning to get the one probiotic he'll eat (Probios Powder) and I keep forgetting. I finally ordered it today.  I also ordered some Cosequin just because.

My niece came home to her dog dead in the road yesterday. He got out of the fence. Shit. She's had a bad run of it. He's only a year old. They lost another 1 year old pup to a congenital defect - found her dead after an apparently violent seizure - about 6 months ago. And an old dog and two barn cats. Plus losing her mom and 2 elderly in-laws. She's having a really hard time. And Marshall was her joy and comfort. We buried him here last night.


Goodbye good buddy.



Damn. He was so full of life. It was hard seeing his body, empty of him.

5 comments:

farm buddy said...

I am very, very, very sorry to hear about your niece's dog. That is a terrible loss on top of all of her other losses. I wish her the absolute best of times in the future.

Anonymous said...

You need to keep a close eye on your niece, not to be morbid. We see that all the time.A Spouse goes or a child or a parent, theyre right on the edge and something like a pet pushes them over..especially if they're isolated . Best wishes to your family.

C-ingspots said...

Wow...when it rains, it pours. I'm so very sorry for all the sadness. It's especially hard losing parent, and then your best buddy. Prayers for brighter tomorrows.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

She has a wonderful husband, close church family, and close family. But Yes, she is having a very hard time. She is very open about it, thank goodness, and I think even though it overshadows everything in her life right now, she's dealing with it all in a healthy way. She does try to carry everyone else's worries though. So much weight for such young shoulders. She's a lot like my sister.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

She certainly deserves better! If a person believed in fairness it, wouldn't make any sense at all. What an amazing person she's always been.