Thursday, March 11, 2021

A Nice Day

Buster and I went for a ride at a friend's place yesterday, then went out to the farm where he was working to help try to figure out some plugged drain tile below some culverts. Sundance doesn't like to ride anymore so I was going to ride the butte behind his house and then we were going to drive out together and work, but he decided to get to work early, so I drove out and Buster stood tied while we worked.  It was good for him.  He was very patient and even stood calmly and visited with another friend while a road grader went by about two feet away.  Huckleberry got to come too, but he didn't go along for the ride, he just hung out at the house and chewed on bones, then slept in the truck.  He wasn't feeling very well.

When we first headed out, Buster was nervous and really wanted to keep an eye on everything.  He'd seen PIGS at the house and that kinda broke his brain for a while.


The water overflow intake at the pond made noise and made him nervous, so we walked across this part.

See him all bunched up and ready for action?  We rode across on the way back and it went well, but of course a plane flew low over us right at that moment, making it a little more of a challenge for him mentally.  He was a champ.

Buster really loves to take in the view, especially big views like this one, so we spent a lot of time stopping and staring.  I let him choose the route for the most part, to keep him interested, but I couldn't let him go into the farm field he really wanted to walk in.  I think he thought it looked easier.  It sure wouldn't have been.  So much mud!

We found an old car.  I don't think it's going to start right up on the first try.

I really enjoy going riding by myself.  Now that I have an animal I don't have to be afraid is going to kill me.  It's peaceful.  I can talk to Buster all I want, which isn't a ton but still, I don't have to explain myself. :)  And he and I can stop and take our time with no pressure and go wherever we want, whether it makes sense or not.  He's pretty good at finding the right path, but sometimes, if it's not too dangerous, I let him choose a hard path if he insists, just to let him experience it.  I couldn't let him choose a path where he'd have to jump a creek and then climb a steep bank with deep snow yesterday, but I let him take that route on the way back, kind of sidewise rather than straight down, and he had to really work through that deep snow.  He did it no problem, but it was work.  Then he chose to take my way by the creek, up around the difficult part, which meant going through a wider wet part instead of through the brushier, narrower, steeper part he'd wanted to go through earlier, but it was at least level.  Smart boy learned that my way really was actually easier.

Later I sat on the backhoe and tried to help spot the pipe as Sundance dug.  I'm not that great at using the backhoe yet, myself.  I did spot both ends of the pipe first though!  So I was some help.  We got through the plugged section and got it draining again and then the backhoe got stuck in the mud.  I tried to take a pic of buster standing at the trailer but he's so teeny he's hard to see.

I wasn't too sad that I got to sit in the comfy chair while he climbed in the cold water.  I don't have hip waders.  I imagine I would have slipped and gone for a swim, anyway.

We moved on to the next one and did some digging by hand, then when he went home for more tools I went home with Buster to spend some time with John.  Actually, I took a good nap since I'd been up since 3am.  Then we spent some quality time.  Oh!  John and I went for a late hike the day before and I think I got a nice sunset picture.  Let me find it.

Actually I got a couple pictures.  We saw some deer and poor Winston, who was on a leash, really wanted to go after them.  We didn't find any shed antlers, but that's no surprise.  I never have much luck with that.


Last night we were watching a movie and Orion stole my comfy spot on the couch.  He was so cute I couldn't help taking his picture.  

Today I'm hoping to see a friend who's in town that I haven't seen for a few years, and of course the boys have their dentals.  I may have to hope I can see my friend tomorrrow.  We'll see. 

Ugh, I hate the waiting time at this vet.  It's always something.  This time I have camp chairs in the back of the truck!  I might just drag one out!


No comments: