Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Bits, Anatomy, Britchen and Donkeys

I just thought I'd share this video that came up on one of my riding donkey forums today. I've watched this trainer's other videos on bits before and he really gets down into the nitty gritty details. I really like his videos. This one is even better because you can see the anatomy on the skull and he explains it well. (Note the difference between wolf teeth and canines. A lot of people do get confused by this and want canines removed. Not possible or necessary.) I didn't know the details on those nerves in the face until now. Good info!



Also, Buster's fancy new britchen from Outfitter's Pack Station came in yesterday. Happy Birthday to me from John. It doesn't look as pretty on him as it did on those shiny, well groomed mule butts at the show, but it is a very nice piece of equipment. I love the pretty buckle covers with hearts.

This wasn't our final adjustment, but you get the idea (and turns out we did still need a flank cinch):

View from the saddle:


I wasn't sure I could figure out the buckle covers, but they sort themselves out when you adjust things. And all the buckles are real roller buckles! Yay! No Conway buckles! I hate those things!

Miss Juniper Joon Junebug Jones is almost shed out and I forgot how beautiful she is. I'll get better pics but this is the best I got yesterday.

She is soooo starved for attention. Most of the time. Other times my guts stink and she won't come near me (usually when I'm trying to bring them in from the pasture. Or wearing a hat. Or gloves. Or she saw the hoof trimming tools. :) )

She's a spicy jalapeno.


1 comment:

C-ingspots said...

Very good information. Thanks for sharing! I love good sense in horsemanship. :)
And yes, your donkeys are so, very cute.