Wednesday, June 14, 2006



June 14, 2006 - Day 25

Wow! Check out the difference in him today versus his second day home. He's a new horse! I so cannot wait to see how he looks when he's fully mature. You know, it makes me want to see updates on the other horses who were at the adoption with him. Some were already so beautiful I can't imagine how nice they look now.

I know I haven't written in a while. I actually have had almost no time to fiddle with Tonka. Between allergies keeping me down and other obligations I just haven't been able to. It's a bummer. I think I'm having withdrawals. Last night I got my coffee pot all set up and set the alarm for 2 hours before John had to leave for work in the morning, to make sure I'd have time to play. This morning the alarm went off and it was pouring rain! Ugh.

This afternoon the rain stopped and I went out to worm everyone. They were of course quite offended. Nobody likes the Quest. It smells horrendous, I hate to put them through it, but they need to get rid of those worms! I gave them treats directly afterwards and for the first time in my life got my finger caught between teeth. Coda chomped me. OUCH! No broken skin. Probably wouldn't have been good to have Quest in a cut.

Tonka didn't get Quest, just ivermectin. I know they wormed him twice at the BLM, but I don't know how well he took it, how much he spit out, etc. Actually once I came in I realized I probably shouldn't have wormed him. I thought he was last wormed in March, but it was May. I feel kinda bad... At least it was just ivermectin. He took it like a champ. He was actually very cute about it. Very curious about what I was doing with Coda, couldn't wait for his turn. Didn't like it so much when he got his turn but didn't do anything other than make faces.

Then I set up the temporary fence so they'll have more room to graze. It's set up so that if he did go through the one strand of electric tape he'll still be fenced in. He is very wary of it though so I don't think he'll try that unless it's an "emergency" situation. Lots of good grass there. They are loving it! Power eating. I got a lot of blurry pictures of Tonka chewing. It was nice to hang out with him tonight.

No comments: