Thursday, October 18, 2007


Guess who got a pedicure! Bella! Just one, but I'll do the other front hoof when Liam gets on the bus. (I wasn't quite done when I took the picture.)

She was so good. Other than taking her hoof away once when I first started rasping, she just stood there for me. That is, after some work on picking up feet to remind her what it's all about. I can't wait to get the other one done! Then I have other horses more in need of a trim than her to work on, and I'll come back later to the hinds. I expect they'll be pretty easy, she's a lot more comfortable with me handling them. But setting her leg up on my thigh might be hard for her to do. I may try to do it just holding the hoof this first time.

What a good girl!

Edited to add another photo of the SAME foot, because I'm an idiot and for some reason thought I was taking a picture of the left foot after I trimmed it. I'm directionally challenged. I usually know where north, south, east and west are, but left and right are more complex, apparently.

She was a gem, again. This was her left foot, her bad side. She did swing her hip toward me the first couple times I approached her shoulder. I showed her that wasn't really the response I was looking for, and we got to work.

I picked out her hind feet and really I could have just run the rasp over them real quick and been done. There's very little to trim. But I wanted to call it good. Short and sweet.

No comments: