Monday, December 24, 2007

Tonka is fine today. His normal, perky, hungry self at feeding time. He took off at a nice trot halfway across the property to join Soxy and Mack since I don't need him with Bella right now. I checked his front feet anyway, since that's where his hesitation seemed to come from last night. Thanks to the snow his hooves were pristinely clean. Looks like he may have had a small abscess that surfaced in his heel bulb. Very small, very clean, not tender to touch, so I'm not worried about it at all.

Soxy on the other hand... I found a bunch of drops of blood in the snow and couldn't track down the source. Mack was very offended at my groping. Then I watched Soxy eating and saw her dribbling blood. Great. But it wasn't a tooth or anything horrible. A nice-sized cut under her lip. The bleeding has all but stopped now, and she's eating fine, so I'm just going to keep an eye on it. I took Katia out to see what had happened, since it's her horse, and she was very disturbed by the blood. I told her that she better toughen up if she's going to own horses when she's old enough to be the one responsible for their care. They do tend to be accident prone!

No comments: