Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Scout is a baaaad baby! Here I've been thinking how sweet he is, and it turns out that's just because I haven't been asking him to do anything. He had his hooves trimmed today and he was a HUGE pain in the butt. I've got my work cut out for me... I'm going to start tying him for long periods and he's got to learn to behave better with his feet and quit being so pushy in general on the ground. Probably not a lot of work involved, but handling him every day would be a good starting point. Although right now I'm frozen, I smell like a horse turd, and the idea of working with a horse isn't very appealing.

Tonka wasn't extremely well-behaved either. How embarassing. He tends to test me a lot, I just expect it, get it over with, and go on. So I guess it makes sense that he'd test a new person trimming him. He learned not to do that. Hopefully he remembers and we don't have to go over it again later.

John made Coda's appointment for tomorrow. We decided to take him to WSU to have him euthanized. I realized the only reason I was thinking about burying him here was for the kids, and I don't think it will really matter all that much in the grand scheme of their lives. The longer Coda has to stay in this cold the more miserable he is, and getting a backhoe or excavator just wasn't happening right away. I am so glad John is taking him in for me. I can't hardly stand the idea of it. If it was at home I think I would have been able to handle it, but not at WSU.

Boy, now that the appointment is made it's really getting to me. This is real, and it sucks.

I think I'll go take a hot bath, get warmed up and wash off the horse stink.

3 comments:

froglander said...

Tough decision to make for your old guy, but he got one last summer with his mare and won't have to be miserable through the winter :) And I'm sure you have lots of pics and memories of him.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry about Coda, but you're doing the responsible, caring thing to take care of him - he can't do it himself and you shouldn't regret your kindness to him - although of course you'll miss him.

Will be thinking of you.

And you're right, it's the daily handling work that should make a difference on the feet.

Linda said...

Very hard decision, Andrea, but winter would have been tough for him--especially by the looks of this one. Still, it doesn't make it any easier.