Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year!

I finally got to put up my George and Alan BLM burro calendar from The 7MSN Ranch.
This is my photo for today. Lea posted about taking a photo a day and posting it on our blogs. Seems like a good idea to me, especially in this dull time of year.

We watched Lars and the Real Girl last night. It's about a guy who's having a hard time mentally and creates a delusion. The actor did a great job. I highly recommend it if you don't mind a tearjerker. It is funny in places and has a happy ending.

Today we went to see Avatar in 3D. It was awesome! The bugs in the forest, you wanted to swat them away from your face. But besides the 3D, I still thought it was a good movie.

Okay, so now we have to talk New Year's Resolutions. I had typed up most of a post about this already, but now I don't like it so I'll start over.

My biggest resolution:
Start Wearing Purple
This whimsical gypsy punk song by Gogol Bordello really struck me deeply. No, I'm not going to start wearing bright colors. But I'm going to quit hiding out, start getting out in the world, living life more. "For your sanity, and wits they will all vanish, I promise." Life is short, you might embarrass yourself when you're old and senile anyway, so live! and don't worry so much. That's my motto this year. Start wearing purple. It's really a lot more than I can say, and a total core change for me.

Part of that is getting out of the house. Apprenticeship or job or volunteering, or maybe even all three. Especially I want to get out and do some good, make some people smile. I'm also going to keep closer tabs on what's going on at my son's school, and talk with the teacher, principal, and counselor more often. I feel like my son is in danger there, and I can't just leave it be.

My horse resolutions:
Be quick to praise and slow to react. Be more deliberate. Be more patient. Learn!
(Those can be my parenting resolutions as well.)

Last but not least, what's New Year's without a diet and a fitness plan?
I gained back a lot of the weight I lost last year, just in the past couple months. So back to eating right, exercising more, and dreaming of being a better rider through better fitness.

What are your New Year's Resolutions?
If you're not a fan of resolutions, what are the big things on your to-do list this year?


3 comments:

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Thanks for the picture. Tomorrow is anything that starts with M. I like your first resolution, getting out and doing something so people smile. We will see what transpires on that. My biggest thing is getting back rid of what I gained back over the holidays. I don't know why I let myself do it. I did not bake anything but zuchinni and applesauce bread this year but I still found places to eat it.

Anonymous said...

All very good ideas, and the focus on helping others and being out in the world are very good!

Linda said...

I'm with you on losing the holiday pounds!!! Good luck with all your resolutions!! Happy New Year!