Monday, October 11, 2010

Even the sun wanted to touch my beautiful new saddle today

The workmanship is really very nice. Someone put a lot of work into this saddle. It took me a minute to figure out how they got this seamless loop of rawhide around the horn. Must be from leg hide?
The maker didn't put his name on it, which I think is weird. Hopefully not because he was ashamed of it? I forgot to ask who made it, so all I know is it was made by an "Amish kid" who does good work. It sounded like he must be local. Anyway...

I have a generous 5 days, or more if I really need it, to make sure the saddle fits. He told me to drink a couple shots of whiskey and take it for a 20 mile ride. I probably won't do that, but I'll put at least 20 miles on it before I make up my mind. So far the jury is still out. But I have to say, I feel SO incredibly much better about this saddle than I did about that brand new, brand name saddle. It was crap. Fake fleece, squeaky, stiff leather, uncomfortable, badly built seat. The seat on this one - I could sit in it all day.

2 comments:

T.L. Merrybard said...

That is the sort of saddle you'd an tot keep in the loungeroom so you can look at it all the time you aren't riding in it. :) Lovely! I hope it fits you and your boy so you can keep it!

T.L. Merrybard said...

Gah, that should be 'WANT to keep'!