Thursday, September 06, 2012

This afternoon while I was at a school event with my son I got a call that Tonka's not drinking, and barely eating.  They are giving him 20 liters of IV fluids now.

His blood levels are staying stable, although they're not rising. 

Tomorrow I'm taking in some water from home in two different types of plastic containers, a bucket, some apple cider vinegar (normally he likes this in his water) and some hay, although I don't think he'll choose our hay over theirs.  Oh, also some hay pellets, which he may like soaked.  And of course apple slices.  He also hasn't touched his salt block there, so I was thinking of taking some loose salt.  I'm also going to add some probios to his feed.  Maybe he has a gut ache from the antibiotics?  And they switched him from Bute to Banamine really abruptly, which the original vet we saw said was a very bad idea and might cause ulcers.  I'm just grasping at straws.  I don't know if any of this will help, but it can't hurt to try.  It makes me feel better too, having something to do to help him.

I just have to hope he'll get back in the game and start doing all the necessary things again.

3 comments:

Keechy said...

Come on Tonka, eat and drink for your mama!

froglander said...

Hang in there Tonka, lots of people are pulling for you :)

Unknown said...

Its okay to grasp at straws, you never know what will work till you try and remember, this is YOUR horse, no one knows him better than you.
Come on Tonka, you can do this!