Friday, September 07, 2012

Tonka looks better this morning.  He isn't drinking well but he did get IV fluids last night and more tubed into his stomach this morning.  They (I TOLD them not to) put the tube up his left nostril, which has a tumor or cyst, and he got a bloody nose.  But he might have gotten a bloody nose anyway.  Not that big a deal. 

He was just awake enough to eat when I got there, and he chowed down on his hay and supplements.  I hope he continues to eat well like that.  He's only pooped 2 times in 36 hours.  His urine has blood in it.  They want to get a sample to look at but he's being sneaky.

His PCV (Packed Cell Volume, or the amount of red blood cells) is up to 22%.  Normal is about 40.  He had been down to 9.  So that's good.  They say it means he's either reabsorbing the blood or his bone marrow is making more.  Some of it could still be from the transfusion, but effects of that should be wearing off.

He seemed happy, and I was happy to see him.  I'll miss seeing him tomorrow.  I'll post any important updates that I get. 



4 comments:

C-ingspots said...

I'll keep Tonka and you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. My heart goes out to you in this worrisome time...I've been there, and it's so scary. Tonka's going to make it, and be a stronger horse from what he's overcome. He knows how much you love him, and he's got plenty of heart to win this battle. Big, big hugs to you!! Blessings, Lorie

Anonymous said...

That his demeanor is more cheerful and he's eating well are very good signs - keeping you in my prayers and thoughts.

Kristie said...

I am so happy. Both of you are in my prayers.

Kara said...

My heart has been in my throat every time I start reading a post from you hoping that things are going okay...I can't even imagine the stress you feel right now! Hoping Tonka is on the mend!