Saturday, September 29, 2012

Well...  I'm going to look at a couple mammoth donkeys tomorrow.  Eeek.  I've wanted one for a long time, but then again there was a time I wanted draft horses, and look how that turned out (I don't have draft horses anymore). 

This pair has packed in the mountains, but they do not cross water well.  They load, trim, and ride at home, but sometimes they don't feel like being ridden and they just stand there...  I dunno.  Can I train a donkey? I only personally know one donkey and she's wonderful but our relationship consists of petting and hugging, not working together.

My biggest misgiving is that they come as a pair.  I know donkeys need other donkeys, but I kinda don't need another mouth to feed.

Anyway, apparently they're like big puppy dogs, happy to follow you anywhere and just want to be loved.  They sound super sweet.  Both are about 15 hands, 9 and 19 years old, gelded boys.  Black with super sweet, soft grey muzzles.  Pedro and Bob.  :)

5 comments:

Keechy said...

Will be great fun to get to see them anyway, even if you don't bring the home. Mammoth donkeys very rare here in Oz. wold love to see one! Just ask about how they are with dogs. I believe donkeys can be very anti dog.

Christine said...

Love the names! I hope things work out!

I love reading some blogs of horse/donkey owners and it seems to me that they're just as happy with their donkeys as they are with their horses! Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope we'll see some pictures of them . . .

There's a donkey (regular size) at our barn - he's very sweet and friendly, but also hasn't been trained at all - he doesn't lead, even.

I've always a secret desire to have a mule . . .

Unknown said...

Dennis Reis has some good information on training mules. The one thing I remember the most is that they learn in 3's. Once you can get them to do something 3 times. STOP. They have it down, and if you try again, they will just quit on you. Anxious to see if you decide to bring them home.
Most people I know, love their mules.

Snipe said...

You may also want to look into Meredith Hodges' "Training Mules and Donkeys". It does an excellent job explaining how donkeys and mules respond to training. It really shows you the differences between longears and horses.