Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Too Much Darkness!

I can't seem to get any good pictures of Luc. Either he's right up in my camera or it's too dark. Or both.

I got some mediocre pictures yesterday, which aren't really blogworthy but they're all I have.


Poop cleanup is a pain in the arse now that the rain has come. Luckily he only poops in one area. I hadn't intended for him to be confined to the mustang pen for this long, but the horse sets the pace. Soon he'll be in a larger area, then grazing in a pasture for the first time in his life.

He has learned that he can be uncomfortable or under pressure and he will come through okay. Which is important. He is learning to move forward from driving pressure, and to move his hindquarters and shoulder independently. He backs a step when asked and is usually pretty comfortable about it. He has stumbled upon the right answer when I ask him to lower his head to halter pressure, but he hasn't really been able to do it consistently. I can rub his legs all over but haven't picked up his hooves yet. He's coming along slowly. Yesterday I was able to get out there with him for 4 short sessions. I wish I could do that every day. Now it will be dark when I get home from work, so I'm going to see if I can fit some time in for him before work. And I'm not going to allow anyone to take up my time on the weekends until I get him moved to better winter quarters. I can't wait to see how he settles in once he has horse buddies and room to move.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like he is coming along nicely. I sure hope he ends up being the one for you!

T.L. Merrybard said...

Going well!