Monday, November 14, 2016

Excitement! Disappointment? and Last Chance Creek

This is the yearling girl I picked out to bring home.
She's the only one with decent feet, but even before I knew that she was the one who caught my eye.

I was going to pick her up today but now there's a hitch in the rescue effort. I don't know the full story, but I hope these guys don't go back to the owner, who had a stroke but obviously wasn't caring for them before that happened. She had 30-some donkeys and the Jack kept "getting out" so now all these skinny ladies with HORRIBLE hooves are nursing and pregnant.

I would love to take this little guy and his mama too, but I don't have time for that many equines. Look at those hooves.

Look at these hooves. So much bad going on there.


This is my girl again, at an angle that shows her poor condition.

I'm really bummed and I hope it all gets straightened out and we can move forward with this. And I hope these donkeys get the care they need.

I think I'm going to go up today regardless of the news just to love on donkeys and help with vet and farrier work. Unless it's pouring rain.

We went hiking out at Last Chance Creek yesterday. 5 1/2 miles of fairly level at a good pace. My sister and nephew rode while my step-dad, Henry, and I hiked. The horses are generally slower than the humans, which I think is funny.
We were pretty soaked and cold at the end. I wasn't prepared for rain. But we still had a great time!

5 comments:

The Dancing Donkey said...

I do hope it works out for you and those donkeys, they are clearly in need. I wish I could help too.

Sista said...

So, I looked it up. HORSES avg. 4.0 per mile at a walk and humans 5.0. :)

C-ingspots said...

I hope you get to take them home soon...poor babies. Physical ailments or not, those hooves were a long time growing, and they need food. So sad. Hope the situation works out real soon for all of them. I am surprised at the horse/human walking thing too. My horses generally seem like they walk faster than me, especially Ladde. And I walk pretty fast.

Linda said...

That's funny. Yep, I've hiked behind my horse before when he was being ponied after his bit broke, and I felt like a gazelle compared to him. Those poor donkeys! I sure hope they find good homes and get the care they need.

T.L. Merrybard said...

I wonder if she might surprise you with an extra down the track like Dancing donkey's Emma did!