Saturday, July 14, 2018

Short Ride, Tired Horse

I cut out the grainy grain (Omolene) and increased the Active Senior and now I have a tired old man again. We did just 3 easy miles early this morning before it got hot and he was slow. He did suggest on the downhill on the way back that maybe I'd like to walk. I'd like to get someone behind me who knows what they're looking at to tell me if it looks like he's sore in his hocks.

I'm back to wondering if I'm too heavy, if this is too much, if he's too old and should be allowed to just pack kids around. I feel bad.

On the upside, I made a new riding buddy. Her property is right on the edge of a bunch of public land, some of which I've ridden on quite a bit, and some I haven't. I was a bit nervous when she told me how green her horse was (1 ride every 9 months or so) but he was a good boy. It helps a lot to have a horse like Sawyer along.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Hmmmm, strange. Have you given him Bute a couple hours before the ride?

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

You know, I haven't! It never crossed my mind. I'll try that. I also bought another bag of the Omolene to feed hern smaller amounts.