Sunday, January 13, 2019

A Beautiful Day

Well, we didn't get our lesson. The truck wanted the day off (dead battery). So that is postponed but I had a good conversation with Angie, the trainer.

The weather yesterday was glorious, so we had a horseplay day. Halla was not thrilled.

She was having an especially bad day yesterday. I'm not sure if she was expecting something bad because we had a bad ride (we did end on a good note) or if she's hormonal or what, but it really doesn't matter. My job was just to go with the flow and try to create a positive interaction.

We are going to work on giving to the halter or bit in any situation, whether it be stressful or not. Starting with not. We are going to go back to the snaffle. She was very pleasantly surprised by that. She gave nicely laterally and vertically and gave me a nice back-up as well (on the ground).

Aren't they cute? It's hard to get either of them to stay back for a picture.

Juniper got to try on the treeless saddle at liberty. She could leave if she wanted to, and she did, but being a curious donkey in need of love and entertainment, she came right back every time.

She thought about it a lot.

And decided it's not so bad.
Especially with a little support from a friend.
 When I cinched her up it made her uncomfortable and she moved into me, so that was a little awkward. But that was the most interesting moment. Of course she has been saddled twice before with a pack saddle, but that was a long time ago.

Halla wanted nothing to do with a saddle, which was fine because I didn't want to ride her! We worked on disengaging the hindquarters, and separating the cue of lateral flexion while standing still, then disengaging the hindquarters. She wanted to anticipate a lot. Also, I had to be very patient to let her think for a moment after a release of pressure, to let her get to the let-down, or lick and chew, to know she was fully ready to move on. I think with her laid back demeanor she's been rushed, which hasn't allowed her to truly be comfortable.  Then later, she got bored with my waiting on her. It's a fine line we walk. :)

After a nice big lunch, Liam wanted to ride Sawyer. Yay!
 Not the greatest pics, but I have to take what I can get with this boy.

Scout wanted to come out so badly he eagerly came when I called him (twice because I couldn't find his halter). You can barely see Liam and Sawyer just above the fence rail in the picture below.

Mmmmm. Coffee. These Contigo cups are the best! They don't leak! Throw them in your saddle bag, even!

I had spent the morning organizing the tack room in the trailer, moving saddles, and I put my fleece seat saver on my new Cashel saddle, which is already comfortable without it. So I rode. I shouldn't have, because I was almost toppling over sometimes walking. But Scout is really good in our round pen dojo. We only stepped outside it for a few minutes.

I even got John to ride his horse by telling him how soft and cozy the new saddle is with the fleece on it. :) I am going to buy him one of these saddles too. I found an even cheaper one that's in better shape! Hope she doesn't sell it to someone else or have second thoughts about shipping it. I'm going to sell the roper and the Circle Y. I love saddles. But I especially love this Cashel saddle.

4 comments:

Mary J said...

Had to laugh at that first photo -The Look. She's trying to move up the herd hierarchy after unloading you yesterday, I guess. Hooray for groundwork (equals respect, then trust). You've got courage!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Stupidity sometimes looks like courage... No, really, I have a plan!

Linda said...

I’m glad you like the Cashel. I have a lot of their products, if it’s the same company. Darn it about the lesson. But this time of year, it’s hit and miss. Sounds like you got some good ground work done though. You’ve been doing a lot with your horses lately, and I’ve been slacking. Not sure why. I guess the transition is throwing me off. I love to see Liam riding!! He sure seems to have an interest.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

It's Cashel by Martin. I never understand those distinctions. So it's made by Martin but they just stamp the Cashel name on it? Maybe Cashel designed and markets it? I don't get it. Anyway, yes, same company, but made by a better company, for what that's worth?

I wish Liam was more interested in riding. He wants a perfect horse that does what you ask and then when I offered to get him lessons too, since I'm going, he says, "I don't need lessons, do I?" At least he's willing to make that a question. :)