Sunday, February 10, 2019

Fowl Winter

As it has in so many other places, winter has decided to grace us with its presence.  A couple days before the big freeze and bad weather, I took in these 3 hens, which had been running loose fending for themselves.  They were so hungry.  I wonder if they would have made it if they hadn't had food and shelter once it got cold.

My mom gave me this teeny coop just a couple days before I brought the hens home.  I actually wasn't planning on keeping it, it's so small, but it turned out it came in handy. They'll only have to live here until I can integrate them in with the ducks and move their tiny coop into the duck enclosure.  I didn't have help when they got here, and now it's frozen to the ground. For now it's keeping them plenty warm and they seem happy.

The ducks didn't know what to think of them at first.  It was pretty cute.

They've already given us four eggs, despite the cold and dark weather and their recent stress. Good girls!  Unlike the ducks, who have been taking an extended vacation. 

This one below is Rose.  I think the other two are Cotton (I forget why) and Delilah.  I left the naming up to the menfolk.  I had a little hand in it, or they might have been Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail.

Below are my beautiful quackers, enjoying some sun during a break in the snow.  Shadow, Sybell, and Zorro, from left to right.  Sybell has pretty white eyeliner, if you look closely.  Zorro has a white feather on her shoulder now.  I don't know why.  They've all changed a bit over time.

Sybell, Shadow, and Zorro.  Ducks are so loud!  I didn't really realize just how much louder they are than chickens until these nice quiet hens came.

Well Hello!  No, I didn't have any treats.  Darn.

I love their snow beaks.  Shadow, in the back below, is the most timid, and she bobs her head a lot when approached. Like bowing or curtsying politely.  I don't know what it means...  I bet someone studies duck-speak and could tell us. 

Today we had snow, snow, and more snow, and it's much colder.  Huckleberry loves it!  He keeps asking to go outside and then coming back in covered in snow.

The horses don't seem to mind too much.  I'm sure they'd prefer the cold without the precip.

I like how Scout and Bella are so often parallel in posture.  And they share nicely.  I don't have to worry about spacing hay.
I've let all horse work go for a bit.  The weather is just too yucky.  If I have to wear ski gloves and still my fingers are hurting from the cold, it's just too cold.

I hope everyone is weathering their weather well.  At least we know it isn't forever!

4 comments:

Linda said...

I had two pet ducks when I was growing up, Paddles and Pezzoo. Boy and girl. There were a lot of duck shenanigans going on in our backyard. They were funny. Do you eat duck eggs?

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I can eat them in moderation. I'm allergic to chicken eggs but I can eat some pretty egg-heavy recipes made with duck eggs. If I do it too often though, I start to feel icky. I haven't tried them plain yet, I'm not brave enough. Straight chicken eggs give me a pretty severe unpleasant reaction.

The guys eat them though, and the rescue raven and crows eat what we don't. Those birds are very expensive to feed, so the eggs are a big help.

Duck eggs are higher in protein and slightly lower in moisture content, so most people recommend adding a tad bit more liquid to whatever recipe you're making. They are really good, and good for you.

Snipe said...

Where did the hens come from? Did they wander in? They must be pretty pleased with the new digs if they've begun laying eggs despite the weather and everything else they've been through.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I got them from their owner, who had moved to town and left them to fend for themselves. It was kinda weird. She wanted to do what was right for them and find them a new home, but didn't totally keep track of them in the interim. I hope it hadn't been long, but I didn't ask.