Thursday, February 14, 2019

More Blather

So the sleep doctor thinks I have narcolepsy. How weird is that?!?! I knew that it wasn't always the sudden dropping off to sleep that the TV would have us think, and I had even considered it as a possibility, but dismissed it. Nah, not me. But he seems pretty convinced. I can't do the sleep studies they need until May because they're all booked up. Unless they get an cancellation.

On one hand I wish I'd known 20 or 30 years ago, and on the other hand, what good would it have done? I'm not sure I'll tolerate the drugs well, and I might have used it as an excuse to do and be less... But what if the drugs are fine, and I could have been awake all this time??? Ah well. Life, you know? It is what it is.

I never would have thought I needed a sleep study. I sleep just fine! Really, it's my super power. If only my doctor had listened a little better when I told him how tired I was. We tested other things. It's not like we weren't looking, we just didn't pursue and he didn't ask more questions. It got worse after the car accident and I just couldn't ignore it anymore.

Weird.

5 comments:

Mary J said...

You must have the best of husbands who stands by you in life's ups and downs, and who always says yes! to mustangs, burros, ducklings, ravens, yaks, stray chickens, and homeless dogs.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Oh, he doesn't always say yes. He said no to a poor pathetic abused chihuahua that came into the clinic just last week (or one of her 3 siblings). (They'll find homes, everyone loves little dogs.) Good thing he knows how to say no or we'd be overrun! He's my sensible side.

But you're right, I have the best husband. He takes good care of us. I'm sure he'd like me to pull my own weight more consistently, but I guess he picked the wrong woman! At least lately. Geez

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Snipe said...

Well that's random. Have you experienced any major issues that would be due to narcolepsy?

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Constant uncontrollable tiredness. I thought I had some sort of chronic fatigue or something totally off the wall, but never narcolepsy. I think the main reason he suspects it is that I fall directly into REM sleep. Also, I could literally get up, drink a huge cup of coffee and go back to bed, or take a nap any time any where. I have napped in the middle of the woods with horses tied nearby, or with a dog tied to my foot, or gone back to sleep while sleeping in the open with a predator having just gone through camp... I sometimes struggle to stay awake driving to work. So nothing exactly "major" but it has a pretty big impact on my life & outlook. I've never been quite able to get through a day like a normal person, even though I sleep 10 hours a night.