Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Oh How I Hate Snow!

Here I was thinking I'd gotten over my loathing of winter, but it turns out it's snow I hate.  It's here, and it's horrible.  So hard to get chores done.  Not to mention not being able to get the truck out.  At least my lovely little car can handle the driveway so far.

Solitude, that's another bummer.  My sister has always been the only person I talk to daily, and she's not around anymore, calling me all the time with weird stories or to complain about the weather or plan summer adventures.  Or talk about horses. Hah, that's most of what we did!

Do you have any big adventures, or little adventures planned this year?  I'm not sure what we're going to do.  Not much holding me back, other than my horse and my energy, and I can work with/around those.  But I need some ideas!

I'd like to go to Escure Ranch in the early spring and do a weekend, maybe long weekend camping trip.  Beautiful there when it's green.  But the ticks!

Boy, how I wish Tonka was still here.

Later in the year we'll probably do a weekend at Heyburn, they have such a nice camping area with corrals.

I've never been to Farragut.  Well, not since my daughter was a baby.  And never with horses.  I'd like to check that out.  And Riverside up in Spokane, now that they have horse camping...  I haven't ridden there since we had our Mustang Club rides years ago.

I would love to go on a week-long trip down on the Snake River in Hell's Canyon, but I don't like the idea of just taking off in a new place I don't know.  My sister's friend offered to take us.  I might have to take her up on that.  She's a sweetheart.

For my sister's birthday in July we'll probably camp out at her favorite spot, where Tonka had his accident and then died.  Which is hard for me, now for more reason than one...  But it is beautiful out there.  Sometimes you hear wolves and elk calling.  Maybe no elk in July.  But wildflowers galore.

Today it's snowing hard again.  I've had to cancel my farrier 2 weeks in a row because of my driveway, so I'm going to trim Sawyer's hooves.  Might work on the wee donkey as well, if I feel up to it.  Then maybe I'll rearrange the barn.  I need to do something other than sit in the house.  I'm getting seriously depressed.  We're overstaffed and slow at work so I only worked one day last week - I'm just about to go crazy.  I'd love it if the weather was good - I'd be outside constantly.  But this being stuck in the house stuff is dumb.

Seriously, tell me about your fun plans for the year, or even just things you'd like to do, even if you aren't going to do it.  Or blog about it and send me the link.  I'm needing a pick-me-up.  And maybe you are too?  Just writing about it here made me feel a bit better.

Now, kind of a dumb aside - I'm digging this new vertical mouse.  Maybe you all know about them, but I was looking for a trackball mouse because I thought that was the good ergonomic mouse, and I stumbled on this vertical mouse.  I'm using it for the first time today and it's the bomb-diggity.  I want to get one for work now.  (I have no idea what those 2 buttons above the thumb are for, you click like a normal mouse.)

5 comments:

The Dancing Donkey said...

I wish I could say I had a bunch of fun plans, but....nope:) I do want to do some agility work with them and take them for more walks and some driving. It is my health and energy that holds me back as well. I just do what I can and try not to make myself crazy over what I can't.

I can tell you that to two little buttons on your new mouse (which I was just thinking about buying:) are forward and back buttons just like the forward and back arrows in your web browser. It may be a small thing, but at least it's something:)

Anonymous said...

Daydreams get me through the winter. A couple from Utah invited me to come and stay for a week of great riding in Zion Nat'l Park. Just don't think that my horse could manage that long a trip in a stock-type slant load trailer.

Come to Riverside and I'll ride with you! My horse (2011 mare from the BLM corals in Burns, OR) boards outside Spokane. But it would be tame after your mountain camping trips -- really nice facilities, however.

Snipe said...

Winter blues and boredom can be really tough. Hang in there, lady! Have you considered a hobby, trade, or maybe arts and crafts to keep your hands and mind busy? Maybe even something like knitting, sewing, upholstery, leatherworking, and so on? Researching these things and networking with other enthusiasts can also be fun. Just an idea, maybe it could hold you over and cheer you up until the weather improves.

As for plans, my 10-year anniversary is coming up next month, and that's pretty exciting. It's also a bit of a shock. Time has flown by so incredibly quickly. We're taking a week to celebrate at our vacation home in the foothills. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future, that house will become our regular home. I'm tired of living in the city, with all the rushing, the crowding, the noise, and the filth. You become a cog in a machine in a city, no matter how much you try to avoid it. It's becoming tiresome to be so far away from family and friends.

I'm considering starting a podcast on news, politics, current issues, and so on. This is somewhat related to my current work doing researching and writing. There are many people already doing this, but my approach would be different because of the way I do my research and how I write about it. Anyway, it's an idea.

Take care!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Oh boy, that's the chance of a lifetime. Zion. Wow. Maybe find a couple B&Bs along the way that have corrals... That would sure be something.

I'd love to see your mare, do you have a blog or anything?

Riverside has its own interesting challenges. Bikes, for one. Tonka didn't seem to mind them too much, but I wonder what Halla will think of them. I'll have to get Liam on a bike and see how she does.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I have been thinking about doing some hand sewing or leatherwork. I just haven't gotten started. Partially because of a lack of space, partially because just the idea of the fabric store overwhelms me. I suppose I could swing by there today. I have some leather to work with but I'm not real inspired in that direction.

Sometimes I miss the energy of a city, but not much! The driving is the worst. I hope you can get away for good. It's so much better for the soul.