Wednesday, March 20, 2019

OK so far


Sawyer seems OK so far. He's passed a few tiny bits of manure and I've seen him pee twice. It's not dark. He's not eating consistently and he's not drinking. He would be happy to graze, but he just refused some senior feed. He's pretty upset about being locked in a stall.

His gut sounds were pretty slow, almost non existent on one side.  He didn't have much fecal matter in his colon and what was there was a little dry and had long stems. Honestly I didn't think he ate the stems in his hay, I thought he only ate the leaf. I'll be scheduling him a dental, it's about time anyway since his last one was a year ago, but he might be doing the best he can with his old man teeth.

His heart rate wasn't elevated but his respiratory rate is. He seems pretty painful if I were to guess, but he's not biting at his sides. He's licking with his tongue way out a LOT.

He sure didn't like the nasogastric tube. It must have tickled. Luckily he was lightly sedated.

Hopefully he'll be passing some mineral oil by morning.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Scary. Colic is such a nightmare. I hope he gets through it.

Mary J said...

Not possibly mild choke?? Any more froth on the ground? You'd think the n/g tube would push a wad of dry stems through

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Huh. He did cough a lot as the tube went down, and I watched it go down the right tube, so I know it wasn't because it was headed toward his lungs. But that wouldn't explain the decreased gut sounds... Unless it could be both choke and colic. I wonder if the foam was from urine.