Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Lavender and Ashes


We went camping over the weekend and Sawyer was colicky again the first night. Rolling, very little gut noise. Gave him oral banamine and got him moving and he was fine. The next morning he was raring to go. Still not a lot of stamina.

Scout is jealous that Sawyer gets good feed.

My dad is visiting and his horse is such a good boy. Rode out like a trooper even though he hadn't been ridden in a while.



We scattered my sister's ashes out there by her favorite aspen tree. That was hard. The next day was her birthday. That was hard too. It's been a hard week. I did find a u-pick lavender farm though.



We got most of our hay in yesterday, even though John is gone. My nephew-in-law Scott, a hired stranger lady, and Liam helped. Excellent crew. Liam was a bit problematic. Kids. They know everything, you know. Except I've been stacking hay longer than he has. He only helped with one load so that was fine. Just 46 bales to go, and those will have to wait because my brakes fell apart after the last load. Not in a scary way. Just annoying. I need to go get a caliper bolt.

I also sold my Sharon Saare saddle and took it to the UPS store yesterday. I'm sad to see it go. It's a work of art. But it's going to someone who actually rides endurance and she's super excited about it. It doesn't fit Sawyer anymore and I adore my treeless saddle. It's not nearly as pretty though.

Today my farrier is coming to see my dad's horse. ... Haha, he showed up right when I was typing that. Got him all fixed up. Liam has been working with my farrier, learning a lot about hooves, anatomy, blacksmithing, horsehandling, and just generally having a good time. We both got some coaching on trimming today, since I had done a cursory trim yesterday to take off the worst of it. Liam got some horse handling coaching. My farrier is a pretty cool guy. He loves horsemanship.

Next... I should be cleaning my house. My good friend Allegra and her daughter will be here soon to visit for the day. I can't wait! I haven't seen them for too long. They will love me even if my house is a disgusting, disgraceful pit of despair, but I can't really stand the mess. Ugh.

Off I go! Have a lovely day!




3 comments:

Mary J said...

You have a lovely day, too! By the way, are you still caring for rehab ravens & crows?

Linda said...

What an amazing thing, to ride off with your sister’s ashes. And yes, that is a beautiful saddle.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Funny you ask right now, that all changed recently. The flightless crows flew away! My bad dog made a hole in the chain link to get to their food, and they got out. I couldn't catch them, so I fed them outside. They got stronger and stronger, and even though their one broken wing still hung down at rest, they could fly! Eventually they quit coming back for food. I choose to think they found a family. They may have been eaten. But they had a great life up in the trees for a while. Much better than hunkered down in a cage, I think. The Raven, it turned out, could not fly at all. He had a fun evening hopping around on the fence, moving balls of meat from one post to the next. I had never seen him have fun before. But I never saw him again after that. It makes me sad. I have mixed feelings about saving birds who will never fly and keeping them in cages. I'm not sure I will do it again. But it's also really hard to turn away an animal in need, when there's hope for life. We had to euthanize a hawk recently, and I really wanted to save it. So beautiful. So sad. But we all die, and it is best not to prolong suffering.