Friday, March 05, 2021

The Dynamic Duo

 


I had so much fun getting these two out together the other day. We just walked around and practiced walking togetether.  In the past one would lag behind while the other got ahead and I'd be pulled in half in between.  This time I kept them even like a team, with me in between, and we practiced turning around trees and other things like basketballs and dog bones left in the field, pretending they were hitched.  Except I can never remember which way is "gee" and which way is "haw" so I had to forgo using those commands.




Meanwhile Bella and Scout turned into wild animals bucking, farting, and racing around, having a fit because I'd taken their donkeys out without them.  I love donkeys, they barely batted an eye at the exciting shenanigans.

The ditches are running with a fair amount of water with all the snow melt, and Buster is a thoughtful one.  Juniper follows me over with hardly the bat of an eyelash.  She's a good example for him but still he has to consider things.  He jumped over the first few times but finally stepped through nicely the last time, after a taste of the delectable new grasses.



Look at him thinking. I wish you could see the water in the pics.  I picked a nice wide spot, with the water spread in a couple channels.  Harder to jump, but also less daunting.  The white you see is snow, the water is dark, and the camera doesn't pick it up.




After all their "hard work" they get a little bit of enjoyment for the day.  Me too.  I like to sit quietly and listen to them chew.  Sometimes it's hard to get them to go back to their boring pasture life afterward.

A few random things:

I found this odd thing under my tire at the Navajo Bridge in northern Arizona.  Katia was kinda grossed out that I picked it up and brought it home.  I took it to our local gem/rock shop and they immediately knew what it was and gave me a little info slip.


The saddle I was riding when Buster bucked me off is for sale only because the gullet is a bit narrow, and someone asked for pics.  I don't want to sell it.  I'm wondering if I can have a friend build up layers of skirting leather underneath to make it wide enough. Which would make it heavier but still probably much lighter than anything else. I can carry it around like a feather.  I love it.  And oddly enough, it's comfortable.

I had to run toward the woods on an errand for a friend so I went back out to clean up nails out of the middle of the road.  Hurt my back pretty bad but I got most of them up.  Shoveled the coals out of the road, and that's about all I can do.  No snow plows had been through to scatter the mess, thank goodness. Then the dogs and I enjoyed a nice time next to the river.




The triskele is one of my favorite symbols and it showed up incidentally in my tarot card reading quite a bit the other day, just as an artistic part of the picture.  I decided to finally buy myself this hand-forged necklace I've been wanting.  

I may ask Verle, my farrier, if he can make me a couple stamps and make it my maker mark for my leather work.  If I ever start doing enough to need one. :)  I made him a couple really nice ropes with leather poppers that I really wanted to stamp.  He said about one of the elements of the rope, "That there's art," and coming from someone who's pickier about his gear than I am, that's a huge compliment!  This would also be my brand, if I could get it registered, when and if I ever decide to brand my horses.  Without the circle around the outside.


And then!  John came home and said he had a present for me.  I wanted this so bad about a month ago when I saw it at the saddlemaker's shop.  It was discounted because he just made it in his spare time.  John said no.  He wanted me to make my own, too expensive.  Then he remembered that he never got me anything for our 20th anniversary 6 months ago.  I had forgotten about that too.  I'm so stoked!  It's so comfortable!  It's lined with the softest elk hide.  The bullet loops are too big so I might need to get a .45 revolver.   Hahaha!  Or have it altered.  I've only wanted this specific holster since I saw it, but I've wanted a drop holster forever.  Belt holsters hold my revolver up too high.


And here's a laugh for you, and a truth.  Have a great weekend!












No comments: