Thursday, June 08, 2006



June 8, 2006 - Day 19

So much for self-preservation! Today Tonka had a little wreck. I had brought Coda into Soxy's pen, which is adjacent to where Tonka is. Coda needs supplementation and I figured it'd be easier if he was close by, in with Tonka. But I didn't want him to go right in with Tonka because I've always let horses get to know each other over the fence first. That wasn't such a good idea today. Tonka kept pawing at the fence, got his foot caught once but pulled it out without getting hurt. I'd tell him no when he did it but if I was far away he didn't listen. There was a bucket full of water next to the trough, for the sheep because they can't reach into the trough. Tonka pawed, stepped in the bucket. No big deal, he was going to pull his foot out, slightly perplexed. But he tipped the bucket and it splashed all over his nether regions and he JUMPED! Not over the fence. More into and through. Scared the crap out of me. He mangled the fence, as you can see in the picture. But thankfully he didn't mangle himself. Just a couple really uncomfortable looking scratches.

I let the three of them hang out in the one pen for a while, and now Coda and Tonka are together in the grassy pen, with poor fat Soxy in dry lot next door. Coda is being bossy and doesn't want Tonka near Soxy. But he's mainly just looking ugly, not being violent. Good old horse.

I was in a bit of a funk, too much housework piled up, overwhelming (my own fault too), but I went outside and moved horses and let the poultry out to range, and it lifted my spirits. I love living on a farm!

By the way, today is my birthday! I think I might get myself some ice cream while I'm in town. I was going to go to the WSU dairy, their little ice cream shop makes excellent ice cream! But it'll be too late by the time I get there, they close early.

No comments: