Saturday, December 30, 2006


So, I suppose it's obvious from the post about the headstall that Tonka wore a bridle and bit for the first time. It was pretty low-key. It took a while for him to be okay with that big strange leather thing going over his face, but then it was no biggie. The bit, however, was unwelcome. He actually seemed a little scared about it being in his mouth. I let him fiddle with it for a few minutes, then took it off. Soon I would like to put it in his mouth and then let him get used to it for a while, maybe do some other work while he wears it, or take him for a walk, so he can think of other things and then come back to the idea, etc.

The above picture is from tonight, when I was trying the new headstall on Danni. Tonka was convinced that just possibly that camera was a treat in disguise.

I traded the Old Timer headstall in for a different one. Will post pics when he wears it. I know it will fit him, and it will look nice, although it doesn't stand out like the other did. I wish the other had worked out, but in the end I had to admit that the browband was just too small, which put too much pressure on the back of the ears. This one is nice too. More conventional, with a browband knot and some rawhide and conchos to pretty it up.

Well, I must be off to bed! Need to get some rest in preparation for a long day tomorrow (hopefully with some horseplay involved), and much fun for New Year's Eve!

No comments: