Saturday, August 18, 2007

You may have wondered after yesterday's post whether the horses would actually eat all that hay that was strewn about, or if they'd miss a lot because it was so spread out. I wondered the same thing actually. But tonight when I went to spread the hay out again, I did not see even one missed bit of hay. Efficient critters. I've done this before, but I don't remember ever checking to see if they actually ate it all.

Question: How much hay does a horse eat over a winter? I'm thinking 10 months. How can winter be that long? Hmm... Start feeding late July. Out on pasture May 1 (hopefully). Well, that still makes just under 10 months. Jeez. I thought I was saving all this money having them out on pasture... I know it's variable, but what do you figure per month per horse, for grass hay?

No comments: