Tuesday, April 01, 2008


He's looking hard for that milk, and she's cooperating, so it shouldn't be long now before he gets a good first meal. He's actually latched on a couple times, then lost it. Still very game to keep trying, but I think he's getting tired. Looks just like mama!

I got out there within 5 minutes of her water breaking (wasn't in a huge hurry, didn't really believe for sure that this was it). He was out, with just his hind legs still in, head uncovered but otherwise still in the membrane. He was grunting, which worried me, but it didn't last long. He started trying to get up while still partially inside the mare, so I went in after a few of his struggles and pulled his hind legs out. Poor kid, he had a lot of trouble getting up. No more than is usual, I'm sure, but it was hard to watch him fumbling!

Eventually I got the umbilicus dipped in iodine. She was circling and so worked up that he couldn't get close enough to try to nurse, so we came in. When I went back out he was trying like crazy. She is very hungry too.

Oh, he did poop at least 5 times. Very important. I have yet to see him pee.

I don't think I'm going to be able to go back in the stall right away, so hopefully they'll be just fine by themselves until she's comfortable with me again.

I'm headed back out with some warm water for her and to make sure progress is being made. Hopefully I can put some more bedding in the stall too, if she'll let me.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Congratulations, Andrea! You done good. Give Bella a big hug from me. I think I may like her more than Tonka (don't tell him), she just tugs at my heart strings. Her boy is going to be stunning!

Don't get too worried about the nursing. I've seen my sheep go through this a lot. New mammas can't figure out where their babies are going and just want them up by their noses where they can sniff and lick and love on them. I'm sure by now she's settled down a bit, though :)

nikki said...

Congrats, what a cutie!!!! I didn't think he was ever going to get here! I'm glad that mama and baby are doing well, can't wait for more updates! :D

Christy said...

Yay!! What a great day this is going to be!!!