Sunday, June 29, 2008

The grass is cut and curing. He uses a sickle bar mower, not a swather. With a sickle bar mower you then have to rake it into windrows, which will also turn it so the bottom side can dry out better. This way of cutting is better in some ways, it doesn't lose as much nutrition since it doesn't get crimped by the swather. I do wonder though if you lose some more of the nutrition to the sun when it's turned. Most people around here just let it set in windrows and cure, the ground usually isn't wet enough to require that you turn it.

We learned a new trick from the neighbors. John went to help them stack hay last night, and as they lay down each new layer in the stack, they dust it with table salt! He said it helps things stay dry, which keeps the barn from burning down, and the horses drink plenty of water in the winter. I'm tempted to try it.

We went camping the other night out at Emerald Creek and then went garnet hunting yesterday. Liam found a monster garnet! I was so jealous. The ranger was so impressed with it she weighed it separately from the rest of his garnets. It weighed 2 ounces, which is about 286 carats. Of course once we get it cut and polished it won't be one stone that big. But right now it's huge. About the size of a walnut.

Here's where we found the horses when we got home. Standing in the hot sun. You'd think they'd go find some shade. Maybe it doesn't bother them as much as it does me.

I took a feed pan and poured water from the trough over the horses. Mack let me do his whole body. The rest of them got offended and walked off. Doesn't he look nice all shiny and wet?

Poor Scout, you'd think he'd enjoy getting wet in that fur coat of his, but maybe it just makes it feel funny.

It is really hot here. I don't like it at all. I went out at about 9:00 to finish trimming Scout's hooves. (The other day I tried it without a halter on him or Bella. It didn't work very well. So still had to finish.) I was pretty overheated by the time I was done.

Scout did alright for his second trim. First one using the nippers. He struggled a fair amount, but with him finally halter broke I was able to keep him with me and discipline him the one time he kicked out at me. Or was that when he tried to mount me... Both times, I guess. Little turd. Then we practiced leading. John, who had been holding Bella for me, led her and trotted around a bit. Scout did well, learned to keep out of my bubble on his blind side. Tried to take off with mama and did not succeed.

John is helping the neighbors stack hay today, then we're going to the movies. It will be nice and cool and I will get a Slushie. Mmmm.

1 comment:

Pony Girl said...

Stay cool! ;) It's hot here, luckily my apartment is partially underground and stays cool!
What movie did ya see?