Monday, November 17, 2008

Jessie tagged me! I feel so special. I never get tagged other than when people say "I don't want to tag anyone specific so if you want to you can do this."

So, it's a HORSE book thingie and these are the instructions:
1. Grab the nearest HORSE book.
2. Open the book to page 56.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next two to five sentences.
5. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book or the intellectual one. Pick the Closest.
6. Tag five people to do the same.

"Life Lessons from a Ranch Horse" by Mark Rashid just happened to be right here in front of me. (He's talking about his horse Buck, BTW)

"He consistently displayed the same quiet behavior with every horse (and person, for that matter) that he came in contact with. If a horse like Pete came at him in an effort to ruin his day, he would basically shrug it off, using the least amount of energy necessary to defuse the situation. It never seemed like a big deal to him, so he never made it a big deal or allowed it to turn into one.

While Buck consistently used the least amount of energy to accomplish the most, Pete used the most energy and accomplished the least! This became so frustrating for Pete that when he fell short in an attack on Buck, there were times when he would suddenly turn and attack whatever horse happened to be closest to him."

And that is part of the idea behind being a "Passive Leader" rather than the "Alpha Horse." I recommend this book, or any of his books. The ones I've read aren't a step by step process, but they have a lot to teach.

Since Jessie stole all my people I would have tagged (cyber thbbbttt) I guess I'll have to do what I was kinda whining about earlier, and say please consider yourself tagged if you feel inclined. Leave me a comment saying you posted though, so I can go read it. I like learning about new horse books.

No comments: