Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tonka seems to be 100% better. Must have been that one little bit of dry poop holding up the works.

I was thinking last night that what I said about this special bond with my mustangs might sound like I was implying that you can't get that with a domestic horse. I didn't mean it that way at all. I think the bond comes from spending so very much time with them, learning each other's ways and motivations, reading each other and building an amazing partnership. I know people with domestics who spend quality time with them every day and they have that same bond. I don't think you can get there unless you're in the horse's head, which takes time and love and understanding. It wouldn't come from just saddling up and telling the horse what to do.

Linda mentioned being totally heartbroken over the death of her goats. I've can relate! It's nothing to belittle, even if they are "just goats." I've been there too, with my sweet little ewe Roseanne. She was wonderful. So devoted and happy. She would have lived in the house if she had her way. There were so many times I had to push her foot out the door as she tried to come in with me. She died of bloat and I don't think I'll ever forgive myself. She was another one that was totally irreplaceable, thanks to the loving way that she was raised by my friend Melissa and her natural sweetness. Bottle babies are special, but Roseanne was really special. I don't think there will ever be another Roseanne.

Here's a picture of Baab and Roseanne sharing a treat with Tonka a couple weeks after I adopted him. Roseanne is the colored one. Baab, the white wether, was a bottle baby too, but he was always a rambunctious and pesky little guy.
We're going to look at a mustang today. He's supposed to be a mellow guy, packs and rides, just kind of plods along. John said he would ride with me if he had an uncomplicated horse, so hopefully this is the one. We're going fairly blind, they didn't even have a picture to email. I'll let you know how it goes later.

No comments: