Friday, December 12, 2008

So far the "big storm" has been rather anti-climactic. But I'm not complaining. Not one bit. It's supposed to get worse later. I'm ready though, and the horses got a lot of extra hay tonight to keep them warm.

I had to make an afternoon dash into town to do a bunch of things, most important of which was picking up my bottle of SMZ's (antibiotics) for Tonka. I walked into the vet when the snow was really starting to come down and the roads were getting slick. I was itching to get home before it got really bad. The receptionist said, "Oh, I'm not sure that came in yet." But it had, thank goodness. I wasn't wanting to spend any extra time in town waiting on it.

Tonight I found myself praising my horse in a very strange way. "Oooh, great pus buddy!" I have been seeing blood but not pus when I do his compresses. It is still draining, but hasn't seemed to have gotten any smaller for a while now. I hope my vet is back from vacation on Monday so we can talk about options. I wonder if they can cut it open so I can get in there and flush it out to help it heal faster.

5 comments:

Linda Reznicek said...

Do you think you could lance it yourself?

Kara said...

Chicos abcess is still draining too. We were thinking that we should get the vet out to open it up (it's been draining for 3 weeks, not getting better or worse). The vet said her facilities are not big enough to knock a horse out to open up a leg wound, so she says we'll have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit and find an arena to do it in. Meanwhile, my dad thinks it might actually be starting to puss less, so maybe it will be healed up by the time the weather warms up a bit.

gtyyup said...

That's pretty yucky stuff Tonka's got...I'd have thought it'd be showing signs of healing by now. A chat with the vet is probably in order. I feel for you.

Andrea said...

Linda, I probably could, but I'm not sure I would open up the right spot to get into the pus. Even the vet can't guarantee that, we've discussed it in the past when he had an abscess. Maybe the same abscess, a year so ago. I still think it maybe just sat and stewed for that long before coming to a head again.

Kara, isn't it frustrating? That's too bad they can't sedate him. Could they do it outside if he wore a blanket? I know some vets here will do that, but it's a lot colder over there. I hope it heals up without a bunch of fuss!

gtyyup, I'm not surprised it's taking this long, since my vet warned it might be two months and it's only been two weeks. But I was hopeful the vet would be wrong. It's frustrating. Luckily Tonka's been a really good sport about it. Not sure that will continue when we go to antibiotic shots. Hopefully he won't start to hate the sight of us.

Kara said...

I'll have to check with the vet and see if she'd do it if he wore a blanket. I hadn't thought of that before. And I do have a blanket. I know it is supposed to warm up a bit next week to have highs in the low 30s, so maybe...