Saturday, August 29, 2009

Swine flu is here! 10 cases so far at WSU in Pullman. One is an employee's girlfriend. Since I was around the guy I can't see my sister for about a week or so, to make sure I'm not carrying anything. Her lungs are bad already, and if she were exposed to swine flu right now it would be really, really bad.

I also went to the grocery store and spent an INSANE amount of money on groceries. So I won't have to go to any place students frequent for a long, long time.

I've never been a germ-phobic person. Quite the opposite. "A germ a day keeps the doctor away," would be my motto. Normally I scoff at rumors of epidemics. They can't touch me! But I'm scared for my sister. So I won't be disparaging the sanitizers of the world anymore.

In horse news: I've got nothing. Haven't even seen my boys today at all, just fed the old horses.

Actually, I do have something, although the news is a couple days old. I went to the Mustang Club meeting the other day and we decided on a date for our fall trail ride. Saturday, September 12 at 10am at Liberty Lake. If you're local and want to go I can get directions for you (once I get them myself). It's a fun, friendly group of people, and it ought to be a great ride.

I also went and visited Laura and Lyric. We tried one of my saddles on Lyric hoping it would fit, but it sat on his wither. I have pictures. I think the camera is still in the car though.

Tonight John and I are having a date night. Going to see District 9. I can't wait. It's got really great reviews as far as I can tell. It's also interesting because I don't recognise any of the names of the actors. So either they're all new or I'm out of touch (and I am). It'll be good to go to a movie and get caught up in a different reality for a while.

What's for dinner?

Cornbread Casserole:
1 can mexi-corn
1 can creamed corn
1 can green chili (I think it would be great with more)
1-2 eggs (our eggs are small, I used 2)
some butter (I use about 4 Tbsp)
Some sour cream (a cup? Maybe less)
Some shredded cheese (probably about a cup)
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix

Cook at 35o for a long time (maybe it was supposed to be 375?), then add cheese to the top for the last 10 minutes or so. It's to-die-for, and I don't generally love cornbread type stuff. Tonight I added some taco beef, but I didn't really like it that way. I'm not a big beef fan, and our grass-fed ground beef is a bit too flavorful for me. Even so, I may not have any room for popcorn later!

1 comment:

Lea and her Mustangs said...

That sounds quick and easy and good. I will have to try it. Hope all is well with the swine flu. I want a vaccine. I fall into that "elderly" status. Will keep praying for your sister. That would be devestating for her.