Saturday, October 03, 2009

The Many Faces of Anchor








Today we made great face progress, but also something more. It's that intangible thing that he's holding back. Trust, try, interest, working-togetherness, letting-down-of-the-guard, friendship? That thing you can't make them give you. You can't train them to give it to you. You can only keep giving your best until you earn it. All the good intentions in the world won't earn it, but time, patience, and quiet consistency will. I don't know what to call it. It's not really there with him, but there was something like that peeking through today occasionally. I think if I didn't have these human goals he might have an easier time giving it to me, but I'd like to send him home halter broke with his hooves trimmed, so I'm making sacrifices. Hopefully he'll get that "thing" with his owner. Then I wonder, have I got it backward? If I forgot about getting a halter on him, would that "thing" come? Would everything else then fall into place? I don't think so, not that quickly. But there's no guarantee this method will get me there that quickly either. For now I'll keep going, feeling out the situation, and trying to get a little bit of both.

3 comments:

froglander said...

You've come so far with him! It must feel so good to work with him, and see the beginnings of trust.

Anonymous said...

I think it's just time, and repeated interactions where he can learn to trust, regardless of what you're doing with him, that will do the trick. If you're seeing the beginnings, the rest will come.

Mrs. Mom said...

Great progress. He sure is setting the pace isn't he? Love his eyes- he watches you so closely. Handsome fellow too!