Saturday, October 10, 2009

Two posts in one morning. Yeah, I'm bored. Not that I couldn't be doing dishes or something. But I don't want to.

So I saw this dogfood commercial recently that advertised "prebiotics" in their food. I had never heard that term before. I finally got around to looking it up.

Probiotics (which I feed to my horses) - dietary supplements that contain (rather than promote) beneficial bacteria.

Prebiotics (which I just learned about) - non-digestible food ingredients that stimulate the growth or activity of bacteria in the digestive system which are beneficial to the health of the body. Typically, prebiotics are carbohydrates (such as oligosaccharides), but the definition does not preclude non-carbohydrates. The most prevalent forms of prebiotics are nutritionally classed as soluble fiber. To some extent, many forms of dietary fiber exhibit some level of prebiotic effect.

I stole this info from Wikipedia. My niece isn't allowed to use Wikipedia for reports at school because "anyone can put info on there" but I consider it to be at least somewhat reliable, and good enough for my own needs most of the time.

I don't think I'm going to worry too much about whether I'm adding prebiotics to my horses' feed. They get plenty of fiber and carbs in their hay.

On another note, I am so excited! We get to go drop the kids and have a fun time shopping around Spokane and go out for our anniversary dinner. If John doesn't mind Greek I'm hoping to go to Opa! They have this appetizer called Flaming Sagnaki that is really good even though I'm not usually a fan of that kind of cheese. And it's served on fire, which is always really fun.

We're hopefully going to stop off at a tack sale and then drop the kids, then shop for a TV stand at my favorite store in all creation - Cost Plus World Market. I might buy some new glasses for the kitchen. We have too many that match right now, I like to keep them all different so we know whose is whose (and variety brings spice to life). Then a stop at the feed store. My dream day! We'll have to go to Home Depot too so John can look at tools. I feel like there was something I needed from there too... My memory is terrible lately! I was telling my sister yesterday that I think I caught her Chemo Brain somehow.

Speaking of which, funny story. My sister was visiting with one of her neighbors, who is kind of a smartass, and he suddenly blurts out, "So what's with the hat?" like it's ugly and why would you wear it. She, being a smartass back, says, "I'm bald. I have cancer." She assumed he knew, but he didn't. He was mortified, but she had a good laugh at his expense. Poor guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's one older (27) horse at our barn with a history of seasonal colic whose owner has him on pre/probiotics - no colics since he's come (crosses fingers) so maybe it's doing him some good.