Monday, December 14, 2009

Want your dog's undivided attention?
My dogs went absolutely bonkers over these homemade liver brownies:

1 lb beef liver
2-3 eggs
1.5 cups corn meal
1.5 cups wheat germ
3-4 cloves garlic

Puree all ingredients in a food processor. (I don't have a food processor - used a blender for the liver, eggs and garlic to make a tasty looking smoothie, then stirred in the dry ingredients). Spread in well greased pan (I used 9x13 for 1/2 inch thick treats) and cook for 20 minutes at 325. Cut to the size you prefer. Refrigerate or freeze unused portion.

I would imagine that if your dog is sensitive to corn or wheat you could substitute potato flakes, spelt, or any number of other dry ingredients. You'd have to experiment to get the right consistency.

Thanks much to my puppy class instructor for the recipe. I needed a better training treat for Huck, and these DEFINITELY get his undivided attention. Angus' eyeballs about popped out of his head and India let out a very unladylike snort as she tried to eat my hand. Normally she's a very careful and dainty treat-taker, so that is rather remarkable.

They were practically pawing all over each other trying to do a trick to get these. I had a 3-paw handshake going on a couple times, but didn't get it on camera. Did get the drool though. There was sure lots of drool going on.

1 comment:

Jayke said...

Oh spam.

Those treats look good, I'll make sure to pass on that recipe to my mom. Love the drool shot!