Saturday, April 10, 2010

We had an absolutely wonderful ride today. The river was a beautiful deep green, the sun was shining, and the flowers were blooming.



Here we ran into a couple of civil war deserters. They threatened to shoot us. But then they laughed and hung around and chatted for a while.



Tonka was totally cracking me up at lunch time. He would stand there with his goofy eager stare, looking at Pepper like he really wanted to mess with him. Every now and then Pepper would shift a log on the ground between them and Tonka would jump. I love my horse, he's so silly. I think his new official name should be Tonka, The Big Goof.

There were a couple iffy moments, as usual on a trail ride, but overall it was a good relaxing ride. All six of the horses on the ride were mustangs. Usually we have a few domestics in the mix but not today. Although you do see the two cavalry horses above - they were a walker and a non-colored appaloosa. But they weren't part of our ride.

Lea had camera trouble but Mary has group photos on her camera. Hopefully someone will email them to me so I can share.

When we got home a big golden eagle landed and hung out on a fence post for a while, then circled above us and flew away. It was so beautiful, totally awe-inspiring, and huge. It seemed to join another bird far above us before it left sight. At first I thought the other bird was a hawk because it looked smaller, and I thought it would divebomb the eagle, but they joined up and I realized the other bird was just high up, not small. I wonder if they are a mated pair. Wouldn't that be neat.

Overall, a great day! Hope you all had a great one too!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I ride Riverside a lot, and I never get sick of it. Wish I could have joined you.