Thursday, June 03, 2010

I don't have much to post so I thought I'd share my list of things to take on my (supposed to be) week long trail ride trip.

For Tonka:
5 bales hay
8 days feed
Feed pan
Water bucket
Busy Horse feeder (kinda like a hay net/bag)
Extra halter/lead
saddle
2 cinches
2 pads
2 bridles
4 easyboots
brushes/hoof pick
trimming tools
packer pellets
electrolytes
fly spray
saddle bags
blanket

Me:
Sleeping bag
camera
pillow
multi-tool
clothes
meds/vitamins
sunscreen
Shower kit
towels/washrags
lots of wipes for cleaning up hands and face
2 pr boots
helmet
chair
OFF
slicker
food
female supplies (bad timing)


Misc:
Collapsible bucket
duct tape
first aid kit (bute, banamine, Vetrap, gauze, scissors, iodine, thermometer, snakebite kit & can't remember what else)
twine
scissors

I know I took more than this, like my sunglasses and wallet, rope halters to work on in case I got bored, etc. It was a lot of junk. Most of which I didn't need, but then I wasn't gone long either. I took extra cinches and pads because I wasn't sure what might gall him on such a long trip. Extra halter/rope in case something weird happened although mine should be unbreakable and I was thinking more that someone else might need it. What I should have had but didn't was a new latigo strap. The one I have is looking worn. I also wished I had a ball cap or shade hat of some sort (for when I wasn't in the saddle). I thought of it and promptly forgot. I was really glad to have a blanket for Tonka since it was chilly and rained one night. I didn't think it was fair to work him all day and then let him get chilled and stiff while tied to the trailer all night. His blankie is a nasty old canvas blanket with some flannel inside. He outgrew my nice waterproof pretty blanket. In his blanket he looked pretty rough next to some of the fancy blanketed horses there. But his glossy naked self was glorious. :)

Anything you consider essential that I don't have on my list?

No comments: