Tuesday, July 06, 2010

This morning started with two phone calls that I didn't answer because I was sleeping in after all the excitement over the 4th of July weekend. But it turns out they were important calls. My sister's friend lost her horse out in the woods yesterday and she was needing people to go help her look. So of course we went.

We rode up and across this big burnt area before getting the call that the mare was found. She was unhurt, tangled up in her mecate reins in a slash pile near where they'd lost her. Lucky mare.
We didn't want to quit riding so we went and checked out this farm road that goes along the river.

That didn't go far and I still didn't feel like being done, plus we were only a few miles from home, so I rode home alone and my sister loaded her horse in her trailer and went her own way.

Tonka did awesome along the highway with traffic going by. THIS was terrifying though:

I did have to get down and let him look. I asked him to touch the tires since they scared him more than the sign.

I love this little shack in the woods:

At one point he was getting a little rushy and I thought about putting his bridle back on, but for the most part he did just fine riding in just a halter. I think he likes that a lot better than riding in a bit.

We ran into my neighbor on his big green scary tractor with the swather behind, and talked for quite a while. Tonka didn't like the tractor when it would start to roll forward.

All in all though, it was an awesome day! Tonka brought his "good horse" persona to the table and we had a wonderful time. It's not every day I get to spend over 7 hours with my horse.

2 comments:

Lea and her Mustangs said...

How wonderful the horse was found and was OK.

gtyyup said...

Yes, a very lucky horse. Nice to be able to enjoy the day on a horse though!

Dang, I missed your give away...just like you, it's been so busy this summer!

But, you and all your critters seem to be fairing well. Hope you get some more great rides in!