Thursday, November 04, 2010

I decided not to ride today since my cold has gotten worse. So what do I do? Get two horses out and end up trimming Scout's hooves, which is much harder than riding...

Before I got Scout out I put Tonka in the round pen with his hobbles on. This is the first time I've used my pretty hobbles that came on my saddle. He hasn't worn hobbles since spring. I keep meaning to get him more accustomed to them but I forget. So today he stood in them for about an hour while I worked with Scout.

There have been 2 or 3 incidents with Scout where he's gotten something around his leg and kicked or ran until the thing broke. Luckily no damage done, other than him learning that it worked to fight the thing. So I roped his feet today. He fought it more than I'd prefer, kicking quite a bit. No crazy hysterics, but definite irritation and trying to get rid of the annoying rope. We made some progress but we'll have to do some more work on it before I'd hobble or picket him. It is tempting to tie his leg to a fixed post rather than let him jerk on me, but I'm afraid he'd hurt himself, even if he is a pretty level-headed colt.

No comments: