Wednesday, November 16, 2011

AHA! Apparently I've been working on getting sick. Tonight I feel awful. It's kind of a relief though, to know it's just a bug. I was beginning to think there was something really wrong with me mentally.

Scout got to come out of his stall for the first time in almost two weeks. We went for a little walk. He was kinda high spirited but not as bad as I'd feared. The leg still has a very slight swelling in it (I think) but I couldn't see any lameness at the walk. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a video of us at the trot so I can see how he's moving. It's hard to see, not having help.

Bella and I played a bit today as well. I had planned on saddling her up but ended up just doing naked groundwork :) and going for a walk. We went in and out of one of our ditches, through the narrow and the wide, the deep and the shallow, just to work on being mindful of our choice of steps and not rushing. She never once tried to jump or get ahead of me. She's such a nice girl. Altogether too sensitive sometimes, but that can be worked on. I found a broken old rusty T-post half buried out in the field, and when I threw it over the fence she startled pretty badly. So I practiced my javelin hurl for a while and did some waving and silly stuff that would have looked pretty stupid to anyone who happened to be passing. In her defense, it was a cold and windy day that would have had any horses' nerves up. Normally she's not quite so jumpy.

We have lots of snow coming. Or not. Depends on which weather site you look at. Currently it's snowing but it's supposed to turn to rain. And it's very cold and windy. Blech. But I have been getting out with the horses, if only for a little while. That's a good thing.

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Naked Groundwork, eh? You might be on to something there. lol!

I think it's great that you take the horses out for walks on the lead. I want to to do that with my mare more often, as she could use some lessons in respecting space, especially when she's scared. I need to teach her it's not ok to jump into my lap when something spooks her. :P.

I'm coming down with something, too. Head is all stuffy.
Feel better soon,
~Lisa