Saturday, December 17, 2011

The weather was absolutely beautiful today. I think it was in the 40's, the sun was shining, and there was just a slight breeze. An excellent day to rake up the last of the leaves in the yard and put the snow shovels to work scooping leaves into wheelbarrows. I kept thinking to myself, "I can't believe it's the first day of Christmas break and instead of snow we're shoveling leaves." Just doesn't seem right.

I also struggled with the mower. I still haven't gotten the sledding hill mowed because the darn mower won't start. I've charged it and it tries to start, but then it just makes a funny noise. So I charged it again and got the same result. Then I gave up. I think the problem may not be the battery. Or maybe we need a new one instead of trying to charge this one. I'm no mechanic, that's for sure.

The horses all got their midwinter dose of Zimecterin Gold today. They didn't love it but it must not taste that bad because they kept following me around afterward.

I did some groundwork with Scout, just worked on crisp transitions and that's about it. He was being really lazy for John last week so I thought he needed a tune-up. He'll only do as much as he thinks you'll make him do. Lazy boy.

Bella got to try a new bit. I actually ordered it special for Tonka right before I found he's not rideable. It's a Myler comfort snaffle with a low port. He's always liked bits with a low port. I think maybe it gives more tongue relief? Anyway, Bella got to try it today, and the jury is still out. I just did groundwork while she wore it and then asked her to respond to it from the ground. I'll probably ride her tomorrow morning. I'd like to find a bit that will work for her, for the clearer communication they give.

Other than that I went out and just loved on Bella and Scout a couple times.

Well, of course I did do other things like play with my kids, play with the dogs, and make soup. It's been a good day.

Katia shocked me by asking if she could ride Soxy this evening. So she went and got her out and off they went bareback and in a halter, looking so relaxed. I love to watch the two of them ride around. I wanted to get a picture but my camera was dead. Meanwhile, Tonka was throwing a big hissy fit in the pasture just like he did last Monday, rearing and striking and squealing because his mare was going out. Dork.

Tonight I got a wonderful update on Grace. She's been worked with every day and has had her hooves trimmed and made a 1/2 mile hike to the indoor arena where she did a lot of new things including jumping, and encountered a couple mules and another horse working and was completely unfazed. What a horse. And what a wonderful owner. She's just the type of person I wanted for Grace. I love that she's getting right to work and getting her trained.

Oh! And I haven't had a cup of coffee since Wednesday morning. Yay me! I'm drinking tea instead. I've gotten a couple nagging headaches but nothing terrible. Eventually I'll cut out the tea too.

1 comment:

Linda said...

We had fog yesterday--thick, thick fog. That's wonderful news about Grace. It sounds like she really did get a dream owner!