Sunday, March 25, 2012

The weatherman was wrong today, in all the right ways!  It was beautiful, sunny, and warm all day long.  I am still fighting the flu, so I was dizzy and nauseous all morning, seeing spots even.  Eventually I made myself get outside and do some yard work anyway.  Liam and I dug up some trees and put them in pots, hoping they'll root well enough to stay alive and be relocated.  I love our cottonwoods.  I haven't been able to successfully move one yet though.

While we were working on that I saw Bella fall down.  Actually I missed the falling down part and saw her struggling to get up.  I don't know what happened.  She wasn't even in a particularly muddy or steep spot.  When she finally got up she held her hind right leg up for a long time, trying and failing to put it down several times.  Eventually she was able to put it down enough to hobble off, and then she seemed to be moving okay, if not well.  Later she seemed like her normal self and I couldn't find any swelling or heat.  That whole episode makes me less likely to want to ride her though.  I've been leaning toward not riding her again and this just makes it more likely that she'll be retired at the ripe old age of 6.  Dang it.

Tonka and I had a good little ride today after an intensive grooming and grazing session and some warm up work on line.  We went up and down the road a ways.  Nothing real exciting, but it was a nice ride in the sunshine.  Then he got his massage and I put him up.

Yesterday was the yearly horse health clinic.  The boys had their blood drawn for health certificates and Tonka is getting a test done for trace mineral levels.  They both got their strangles vaccines because I hate doing intranasal vaccines myself.  The vet is so fast they don't know what hit them.  Afterward I ran to town and came home to a message that Tonka's blood didn't spin down correctly so we'll have to go back in and have it drawn again.  No biggie, these things happen.

I wish this good weather was going to hang around but it looks like we're in for a lot more rain this week.  Yuck.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I've been dragging my feet on strangles, but this is the time to do it--Cia heads to Asotin in a week and needs them before she can enter training. The weather was GORGEOUS today!!!!