Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summer has finally arrived and I tried to hide from it in the coolness of the house, but eventually that got way too boring.  So I'm riding again, when I can, and I've been mowing and working on moving fencing, and playing around some out in the cool waters in the mountains. 

We've had a lot of frogs this year.  To the point where I'm finding them in odd places.  One was in my car, and died a horrible death on the dash in the heat, poor thing.  One was in my kitchen, and Huckleberry found it.  You should have seen him.  He wasn't sure what it was and he was scared of it, but also very curious.  It was pretty funny.  I had a couple in my recycle bins out back, and had to empty it out to save them from being recycled.  Then John almost stepped on one the other evening.  We also have a couple toads who are super cute.  I like frogs, but I find I like toads way more.  They're just more personable somehow.

While I was mowing pastures with the tractor I saw some good-sized snakes.  I like them (as long as they don't surprise me).  They can eat all the mice and voles they want, I don't mind. Then this one showed up in our driveway.  He was very shy, and not at all aggressive.  I herded him a bit to get him in a safe place with no chickens or dogs.

On the 4th Liam was making balloon "things" (they definitely weren't animals) and I introduced them to the horses.  They were very alarmed at first but got over it pretty quickly.
 Here's my 4th of July creation.  It was tasty and fun.

The next day Scout got to be our pony ride horse.  He did a good job.

Then we headed for the woods and water.  I love this picture of my friend's little girl.

All the dogs had a blast. And came home smelling of "cow plop."

We had so much fun we went back a couple days later.  I wish I could stay there for a week.

Huckleberry found a treasure, buried it, Blue found it, lost it, and eventually Huck found it again and was not going to let go of it.  But alas, soon we had to leave and he didn't get to bring it home.  Poor guy.

Yesterday John and I went on a little trail ride.  It started out with a little too much energy and nerves but the rest of the ride was relaxing and enjoyable. My two geldings sure do look good together.  :)
Today we'll go on a longer and more scenic ride, Scout and I and my sister's group.  I can't wait.  Hope it stays cool.  This morning we had some rain and it was very nice.

I almost forgot to mention, I met Soxy's owner from when she was younger.  She's a very nice lady, and it was such a lucky coincidence.  I was at her place helping with dental work for 4 horses. We were chatting and might never have realized we had a horse in common.  I guess back then Soxy was naughty and scary.  She must have had a lot of good experiences before I had her, because she was such a confidence builder for me, and so good for my kids.  What a lucky horse, she's been very loved by everyone who has owned her, even when she was naughty.  :)

And speaking of dental work - miniature horses have huge teeth!  We did 3 of them yesterday and they were lovely, sweet patients.  But they're still hard work because their teeth are funky and you have to get down on the floor to work on them.  Luckily these three get their teeth taken care of once a year so they don't get too out of hand.  What an interesting experience.  We had a lovely Arab gelding for a patient too.  I'm not an Arab person but I really liked this fella.  He was well put together and really sweet.  

Nothing new on the moving front.  And that's about all I've got!  I'm going to get back to work and maybe ride my Bella mare.


No comments: