Friday, February 17, 2017

Why Bother With Horses?

On one of my walks with Juniper I found myself wondering why we bother with horses at all if donkeys are this easy? She's so smart and steady, and once she's learned something well, she's learned it. It's just too easy.

Don't get me wrong, I know why we ride horses. We like it hotter, faster, more animated. And you can make a horse do stuff. You can't make a donkey do something the donkey doesn't feel is in her best interest.

It's also fascinating the huge difference between her temperament and Pedro and Bob's. I do think she's not a mammoth, based on her size and color. She is a lot more animated and sprightly, more forward and curious. I had heard mammoths were slower. In this case it seems to be true. Of course there is the age difference as well.
The brand inspector came and did her lifetime brand card. I am glad to have that done, although I'd rather it was when she was sleek and fatter. But by law you have to do it within 10 days of purchase, and we'd already fudged that a bit (with the brand inspector's permission).

I think I need to either start supplementing with alfalfa or buy a higher protein pellet for her. Maybe just until the grass comes on. She's just not gaining enough muscle. 

Also, I learned about a company called Biotracking that does pregnancy testing off of a blood test. Easy-peasy and cheap at just $25. If I lived anywhere else I'd have to FedEx the sample, but they're based right here in Moscow, so I'll just draw it, spin it down at work, and run it in. They won't run the test until Wednesday, but I'll share the results as soon as I get them, of course. :)

I am so sick right now! Lost my voice and everything! Yuck! I'm even missing work and I hate that. BUT my head meds are working! I haven't had a headache in a week (until I coughed so much I gave myself one), I haven't been dizzy, and even the numbness in my arm and leg are better. I even thought about riding last weekend. I am so stoked. I can't even believe it.

AND... drumroll please... I was able to drive up my driveway for the first time since Christmas! The ice is almost gone!

So yeah, things are looking good.




1 comment:

T.L. Merrybard said...

Great news that you are feeling so much better (cold notwithstanding!) I was telling hubby the other day about how you have to park at the end of your drive whenever it gets too snowy/icey. It just amazes me that people can live like that. We might get super cooked all summer, but our winters are just so mild. I think I'm a winter person, but suspect I'm not really. :D