Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Evening Escape

From my armchair in the living room I have a view of the black walnut trees behind the house, on up to the pasture on the hill. During the springtime I enjoy watching my horses graze there periodically, silhouetted against the sky.

Yesterday as I was eating dinner I was casually interested in watching Duncan act very concerned about something farther up the hill. Juniper wasn't worried, she was just trying to ignore him and graze, so I wasn't going to go look. But he really wanted to get Juniper involved in his worry, and he kept herding her toward the fence and not giving her much option about where to go. This is one strand of electric tape about waist height on me. So she finally got fed up and ducked under.

This is where she found out that the grass isn't really greener on the other side, but it is much longer. She wasn't hard to approach, in fact she seemed happy to have company in unknown territory, but when I reached around to put the halter on she said, "Nope." She's pretty quick on her feet!

And this is where we both learned that donkeys can learn pretty quickly to "hook on" just like horses do, even without a round pen, with the same sort of "round pen" work against the curve of a fence. Donkey caught, friendliness ensued, grazing allowed, then back to where she belonged.


Where I discovered that Duncan was having a very bad hair day:

1 comment:

T.L. Merrybard said...

Oh nooooozzz!