Saturday, November 24, 2018

One-handed

I have been totally housebound and pretty helpless (thanks to my husband the animals are getting fed), and I still don't know what's wrong with me. Apparently shoulders aren't that interesting to doctors, even when the pain is excruciating and not responsive to pain meds. BUT! Dr. Google gave me a solution that has helped tremendously, so if you ever injure your shoulder and the doctor hands you a simple sling, ask for this instead:

The sling supports your elbow and leaves your shoulder all wibbly-wobbly, while this wrap holds the shoulder in place and reduces pain almost immediately.

I plan to bother my doctor some more on Monday. Of course this happened on a holiday week.

I also figured out how to halter a horse one-handed. Luckily I have tons of extra rope around, because a halter wouldn't do. I took a roughly 20-22ft rope, made a loop in one end, and used a "come along hitch." I don't know if Steve Edwards invented it - probably not - but he uses it a lot in his donkey and mule training.  It's easy to do one-handed as long as your critter is sweet and wonderful like mine;) This video shows it pretty well:

Unlike my photo of fluffy Juniper, which doesn't show it at all:

I took a stroll around the pasture and even ventured out with Halla and took her to visit Sawyer. Much better today! Previously I could barely walk across my tiny house.

I already have some ideas on bridling and saddling one-handed, but since I can hardly stand to ride in the car, I don't think I'll be riding a horse just yet.

I'm off to my super exciting life. Nap #1 for today. Enjoy your weekend!



1 comment:

Linda said...

That's horrible. Sounds like my year--the dreaded 2018 of injuries. Sometimes, all you can do is wait and rest, as awful as that sounds. Pushing it can make matters worse. I do like that sling though. It looks super supportive. Just be cautious until you find out more. Maybe practice "at liberty" work?