Monday, February 25, 2019

New Duckies! Yak Connection!

Through wind and snow and a couple of pretty serious snow drifts, I journeyed to find my treasure.
Duckies!

I shall call this adorable young lady Betty.

These guys, I'm not sure if their names matter, because they might be Brunch and Dinner, but for now they are Billy Idol and Fonzie.  They're HUGE!  I'd guess 12 pounds.  Just comparing how they feel to the weight of all the fat cats I weigh at work.

These guys are cute little peeps.  They're pretty skeptical about people.  I think Winston Really, REally, wanted to eat their food.  Maybe he wanted to eat them.  They are a little like mice.  But he's a good boy and I don't think he'd eat what he knows are "my babies."

He was totally riveted for a long while.

Fuzzy!

Skeptical

So far so good with everyone together.  Zorro did try to boss the drakes when I gave everyone peas.  One of the boys hissed at her and briefly grabbed her wing.  I would be seriously sad if Zorro was seriously hurt.  I'm going to keep a close eye on the situation.

Look at my little photo-bomber, lower left. :)

Isn't she just the most beautiful duck?

I love the raised crests on the Muscovy ducks.  They're so expressive, even though they're really slow and mellow.  And they look like punks.  And dinosaurs.

It's like an 80's movie, the pretty girls in their clique, and the leather jackets in their tough-looking group, but really everyone just wants to be loved. (or in this case, eat peas)

:) :) :)

OH!  I almost forgot to mention.  As we were standing in the cold, nasty wind, with heavy snow coming down, talking about what breeds of sheep she had, her donkey and geese protectors, and her goats, she just off-hand said, "Too bad the weather is so bad or I'd show you my yak."  WHATT??  Yak, plural!  She has a herd!  I am totally going back out to meet them when the weather stops acting like an angry teenager.  She's super nice and she'll talk your ear off, telling you all the attributes about which breeds of sheep she has (some breeds are milder flavor), and I already learned some new things about yak.  They are more susceptible to some diseases, such as bluetongue, than cattle, who can carry it but rarely show symptoms.  Good to know!  Anyway, serendipity!  Life is interesting.

Last night, in a lower moment, I decided not to get bottle baby dairy calves right now (a thing we were seriously discussing yesterday).  My damn health isn't predictable enough.  I couldn't feed the critters last night and I know John doesn't want the responsibility of bottle feeding.  (I could have if I absolutely had to, but it would have been awful.)  Things will get better when the snow is gone, then maybe I'll revisit that idea.

2 comments:

Snipe said...

So you happened to run into a lady with yaks? What are the chances of that?

I've been learning about sheep as well. My husband used to raise them for meat and as show animals. Perhaps we'll end up with a flock eventually, once we move out of the city. One can always hope.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I love sheep. I hope you do get some!