Monday, June 10, 2019

Camping

This is how Scout rolls

This is how Buster rolls

This is how I roll

This is why we roll

This looks a heck of a lot like a bear was scratching here, just outside the corrals:

Look at those eyes!

I love Buster's eyes. He's a thinker and a watcher.

Camp, all set up.


An evening walk.  John and I were tired.

This is the stuff I dreamed of when I was a kid.  Horses in flowery meadows.  I doubt John was dreaming about the same thing.  And I had no idea donkeys were even better than horses. :)

I made a sweet friend.  The corral was under construction for an hour or two, and the cowdogs weren't supposed to visit, but I snuck in some loving.  Some border collies are just the sweetest, with their tender loving looks & cuddles.  My goodness.

Did you know donkeys are really good at guilt trips?  Buster was bored and ready to get going for the day.  They know how to let you know what they're thinking when they want to.

We got going, and eventually I mounted up and rode a bit in a big field, then Buster carried me over this water crossing.  What a good guy!  He carried me over another deep water crossing, but mostly he hiked.  It was too slick and he got nervous carrying me in the mud.  I don't blame him.

We spent a lot of time on a dark, narrow trail in the woods, then stopped here for a snack break.  Not a bad spot.


Eventually John let me steal his horse.  I kept him for the rest of the ride.  John had lost his glasses and we had to back track rather than finishing the loop.  I offered him his horse back but he figured walking was his penance.  We didn't find the glasses.  I hope they didn't fall to the bottom of a puddle.  We'll go back & look again.

He looks like he's scowling, but that's resting John face.  

Next morning we had to get going, but we got in a nice little ride/hike.

Buster saw some cows!  (You can see the reddish brown dot to his right in the trees.)  I think the cows thought we didn't see them.  They were WILD and stampeded twice the first night we were there, but this time they stayed really quiet until we were out of sight, then they all started bellowing their relief at not being spotted.  Silly critters.

Buster and I got a little riding in back at camp. We're making baby steps.  I adore his ears.

Boy am I still sleepy.  I begin to wonder if this drug can have an opposite effect and make me tired.  Or maybe I'm just wearing myself out.  Also, I had a migraine yesterday, so that doesn't help. I have so much to get caught up on at home so we can go have fun again!

1 comment:

Mary J said...

Hooray for summer fun! Camp smoke in your hair, sunburn, lost socks (and glasses) shovelling manure out of the trailer, mosquitoes -- and did you ever get bitten with chiggers? The list goes on, still, camping with the four-legged is the best fun of all!