Sunday, July 21, 2019

Puppy














I don't know why but I got the puppy bug. I thought Winston would love a puppy to play with. Huckleberry wouldn't, but with the right puppy I figured he'd be okay. Well, Winston was afraid of the puppy! He's getting over it and they do play sometimes, but it's not what I expected. Huckleberry is more tolerant.

Pup's name is Orion. He came with the name and I like it. One of my favorite winter constellations. He was adopted from a shelter at 2 months old, and then a few months later they decided they didn't have time for a puppy. The usual. He's a golden retriever mix, about 5 months old, so whatever else he is must be small. He's about 25lbs right now. I met a new breed I hadn't heard of the other day, a jagdterrier, and he does remind me of one of those. The likelihood is low, but they are in the area he came from, and he does have the fearless temperament to hunt badger! Maybe he's part weenie dog, or 12 different breeds. If there was a mini hound I might guess that, but he's quiet. He's barked twice in 7 days. Who knows. What would you guess?



Keep in mind the black and tan color could come from the golden retriever. It's kind of hidden in their genetics. The previous owner thought he was part huntaway but I think not.

It's fun to guess, but I'm kinda stumped on this one. I guess it doesn't matter.

He's super outgoing, not a guard dog, loves everyone but knows who his people are and stays loosely with them, unless his dog buddies are running, then he runs with them. He's pretty cool.

3 comments:

Jenna Blumer said...

He's so cute! I never knew goldens could turn out that color.

T.L. Merrybard said...

If he was here in Oz I'd be guessing New Zealand Huntaway, maybe even purebred.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

That's funny, his previous owner thought so too. I just thought it slightly unlikely here, and I was thinking he was too small, but he's growing like a weed now. Also, I was reading that they use their bark to herd, and he very rarely barks. He does very much like to herd the ducks out of the yard though.